Nurse Advice Line
Say “hello” to on-demand clinical support.
- It’s the middle of the night. The baby is screaming. And Mom isn’t sure whether she should bundle up the child and head to the ER … or wait until morning to see a doctor. With our Nurse Advice Line, clinical help is available right from home—24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. By having that resource at her fingertips, Mom will sleep better and as the one who provides care to the family, you could save the cost of a possibly unnecessary ER visit.
- We deliver cost savings—even to those who previously managed nurse advice line services internally. In fact, one of our clients realized savings of $352,892 by relying on us!1
- We live-answer each and every call, focusing on the assessment and disposition of symptom-based calls. Some triage services take messages and return the call when it’s convenient for them – not for the person who needs help. Using a single-call resolution model, we take care of the callers the first time they call, not through callbacks. We believe it is imperative to be available when the caller needs us. That’s why our locations are located throughout the United States, rather than in just one state. By having centers in varying parts of the country and the ability to telecommute, we can ensure continued service no matter what type of catastrophe – natural or not – may occur. Our industry-leading systems allow calls to go to the next available professional regardless of the incoming location of the call. All team members are linked through our HIPAA-compliant software systems and have access to all files provided by the client. In fact, we’ve provided our clients uninterrupted service since 1995.
- Our nurse advice line and nurse triage services provide real-time healthcare assessments to help the caller determine the right level of care needed at the moment. Our Registered Nurses accomplish this through the use of critical thinking skills, nationally recognized Schmidt and Thompson medical guidelines and state-of-the-art interactive triage software. This process assists our team in quickly assessing the severity and nature of a call to result in the most appropriate disposition and care advice.
During member interactions, our team will:
- Accurately identify callers’ needs and ensure they are directed to the appropriate level of care for their situation—whether it be providing home care guidance, setting an appointment with a primary care provider, or recommending a visit to Urgent Care or the ER.
- Based upon client instruction, set appointments with preferred providers.
- Offer around-the-clock access to a highly skilled triage clinical team.
- Use nationally recognized algorithms to provide the best course of action.
- Support callers through a bilingual team with real-time access to live call translation services in 200+ languages.
- Provide simple and useful advice—in the convenience of the caller’s home—about medications, procedures, screenings, health conditions or any other health related topics.
- Listen and comfort callers in a culturally and linguistically sensitive manner.
- Act as a seamless extension of our clients to eliminate confusion as to who is providing the service.
- Offer further information through access to a full health information library, in both an audio and online format in multiple languages.
- Empower callers to make confident and appropriate decisions about their care and treatment.
Client benefits include:
- A partner who cares about outcomes as much as you do.
- A reduction in inappropriate appointments and the risk of medical complications. According to many experts almost 70% of PCP, Urgent Care and ER visits are preventable. Many of the non-life threatening medical conditions can be cured by over the counter drugs and home remedies.
- Single-call resolution model vs. a callback model, demonstrating our commitment to you and your commitment to those you serve.
- Increased satisfaction levels with your service and organization. In a recent customer study, EPC found that 94% of the more than 19 million triage calls last year said that they would call again if they needed advice.
- A highly skilled clinical staff that delivers clinical expertise and reduces the complexity of healthcare in easy-to-understand language – improving caller satisfaction.
- Unlike others, we’re not a software, clinical staffing, or telemarketing services agency. Our core strength is delivering a true nurse advice line designed to deliver an optimal experience and educate members on appropriate care and service levels.
- Based on your preference, we can schedule appointments with preferred providers and furnish referrals to wellness and behavioral health services.
- An ever-growing team of registered nurses who are licensed to practice in all states.
- Proven methods that get those you serve to the right place the first time which saves you unnecessary ER and other medical costs. An NIH-funded study found that the average cost for an ER visit was more than $2,000—about 40% more than most people spend on their rent or home payment each month.
- Thoughtful attention to callers’ concerns. Studies show that reassurance can be more important than the relief of symptoms.2
- Care coordination that is required for patient-centered health home models.
- Service from a URAC-accredited health call center that uses quality assurance measurements to increase access to healthcare while decreasing overall costs. We also meet and exceed the industry standards set upon by the accrediting agency.
- Supplemental resources to meet requirements of 24-hour access.
- Identification of high-risk situations that could benefit from case management.
- Consultative partnership strategies that focus on improving your ROI and health outcomes.
1 Source: 2013 comparison of large East Coast hospital client utilizing our Nurse Advice Line service versus their prior internal service.
2 Source: Wheeler S.Q. (2009). Telephone Triage Protocols for Adult Populations. McGraw Hill: New York.